Monday 16 November 2009

1

Where to begin.

I guess it would be good to explain what this is all about.

One of my homes on the internet indeed the place I can be 'found' more than any other is the WoWCast channel of BINDpoint. For want of a better word (because there isn't one) it is a chat room. It isn't a noisy place although it does have it's moments as the participants are few but vocal (or should that be verbal).

I suspect all were initially drawn there after listening to Alachia on WoWCast. I certainly was. Topics range from WTF just happened on Glee to the existence of God. One recurring topic seems to be lamenting the loss of 'meat' in society or in other words depth.

I describe it as the goldfish phenomenon although I suspect inaccurately. In essence a great deal of the population is happy with the surface of things. They feed on quick morsels of information which is equally quickly digested and soon forgotten. Thoughts of diving deeper do not occur to them indeed are frowned upon by their peers. In order to cater for this majority things are 'dumbed' down and fashioned into easily consumed chunks.

OK I realise I am distracting myself. So back on track.

(There is a part of me that would like to go back and change a lot of the above but as you will see in a minute I can't)

So perhaps unrelated to any of the above one of the regular BPers (Jaminbee) came up with what I think is a great idea. In essence that we (fellow BPers) write a blog not as some type of fluff piece that is sanitised and streamlined but rather as an honest reflection of our beliefs and thoughts.

In order to ensure a level of purity (honesty?)it should be first draft stuff. The process of constant review and change that now sucks the life out of blogs is therefore disallowed.(This also includes going back to correct grammar, spelling etc - I have not so far 'gone back' but may have already broken that rule by correcting as I go - so sue me!)

The use of pictures is also forbidden (much to Alachia's disgust - haha) I guess because although a picture may paint a thousand words they aren't necessarily yours.

We should aim to write 3 times a week. I assume this is to avoid awaiting an 'event' before putting finger to keyboard.

This next one kind of stumps me a wee bit I'll be honest (hey it's working).

Thinking is NOT allowed. Hmm my only problem here is I think far faster than I type. Although I appreciate the necessity to avoid over thinking and streamlining between brain and paper.

One thing I also believe to be important in this exercise is to forget ideas of an 'audience'. The whole process (as Jaminbee points out. I would link you to his original article but that is also forbidden) of tailoring for the goldfish generation is what has led to the absence of depth and truth.

So...

No comments:

Post a Comment